If you have a medical need please consult a physician.
The posts here are created by users and unverified. We are not responsible for the content.

which degree would be better to obtain?

Filed in Category Pediatric Therapy

I’m looking to get an associates in either Vet Technology, Occupational Therapy Assistant, or Human Services. Which degree has the best job opportunities and the best pay?

2 Comments so far

  1. Richard

    Probably OT Assistants. Vet Technicians are a dime a dozen and paid little, and Human Service people are also paid very little.

    OT Assistants require more rigorous training than the others.

  2. jannsody

    They say to go with your passion and to try to make a living out of that zeal. Farrah Gray, young male multimillionaire and author of “Reallioniare” suggests asking oneself this question, “What would I do for years and years to come and not have to get paid?”

    Just an fyi re: OTA that my cousin had gone to school for that and said that the field can be both psychologically (mentally) and physically draining. As a student, one also has to successfully complete a clinical fieldwork component and receive feedback by the fieldwork supervisor. One must also pass a certification examination before possibly getting a job as a COTA (certified occupational therapy assistant). I believe that most jobs in OT are at a nursing home/long-term care facility.

    Before taking prerequisites for OTA, please job shadow/observe in the various OT departments such as a physical rehabilitation hospital for those with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), spinal cord injury/paralysis, stroke (“brain attack”) which is a type of brain injury, other neurological disorders, hip/knee/shoulder replacement, amputated limbs – pediatric hospital – nursing home.

    With regard to getting an associate degree in vet technology, and you may be aware, but a vet tech is basically a nurse for animals.

    Regarding human services, I’m not sure that there are too many jobs for someone with a 2-year degree in the field. One may need at least a bachelor’s degree, or more preferably a master’s degree in social work, to possibly get a job in the human services field. If you’re planning on transferring to university after the associates, then you may want to consider the degree in human services if wanting a 2-year degree, anyway, know what I mean.

    With regard to schooling, please AVOID those private overly priced For-profit schools (such as keiser, brown mackie, devry, ITT tech, strayer, everest, capella, ashford, westwood, sanford brown, argosy, penn foster, colorado tech, U of P, grand canyon, lincoln tech, pima career and others) as they’re merely out to “make a profit”, and their course credits usually do NOT transfer to other schools.

    Please instead consider the local community college as long as the program is ** accredited within the industry. **

    For general career info: http://www.bls.gov/ooh and can search.

    U.S. colleges: http://www.utexas.edu/world/univ

If you have a medical need please consult a physician.

The posts here are created by users and unverified.
We are not responsible for the content.

Netpediatrics.com does not offer medical advice or recommendations of any type.

which degree would be better to obtain?

You can syndicate both the entries using Pediatric RSS Feeds and the Pediatric Comments Feed

Support WordPress